Monday, January 18, 2010

Life


Talk about education from real life experiences.

I hurt my leg on January 1st, starting with a limp and progressing daily until a week later I couldn't walk at all. I had to use a wheelchair for a week, with crutches to get up and down the three steps in my house.

My mother moved in to nurse me. I cried from the pain. I threw up from the pain medication. I sat and slept in the lazy boy recliner for two weeks. I couldn't pick up something that I dropped on the floor, less than a foot from my hand. I got cranky.

Mi'ita is not a naturally helpful person, I am afraid to say. If I asked her to pick something up for me on a normal day, she's say, "what, are your legs broken?" (We've been working on that.)

What did Mi'ita learn from watching all this? She certainly had a blast using my wheelchair and crutches. She learned where to put things so that they weren't in my way. She became "the helpful kitten" and fetched and carried for me because my legs were in fact nearly broken.

I don't know what all she learned, but I bet it was pretty substantial, all told.

No comments:

Post a Comment