Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A slap in the face to teachers


I have to tell you right off the bat that I admire teachers hugely. I was a teacher for 13 years and know the system from the inside. Almost all teachers that I have known over the years are well educated, care about their students tremendously, spend money from their own pockets for materials for their students, work long hours, and are just really nice people. They are working from the heart and doing the best job they know how to do. I can count the number of teachers I have met over the years who don't fit that stereotype on one hand with fingers left over. Seriously.

That said, I've been reading some information from HSLDA, Home School Legal Defense Association. They have done research studies on the academic achievement of homeschoolers over the years. The latest one, Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics, had some really interesting statistics. Mostly it says that homeschoolers out-perform public and private school educated students by leaps and bounds. The average performance of public school students in the major academic areas is 50% (duh) and for homeschoolers it's in the mid 80's. That's pretty significant.

The study goes on to break down the achievement by race, educational level of parents, how much money is spent on homeschooling, etc. Most of those statistics are pretty consistent across the board. For example, people who spend over $600 per year are only 3 points higher than people who spend less (89th% to 86th%.) Interestingly, homeschooled minorities score very similarly to whitebread folks, but they languish horribly in public schools.

The most interesting statistic for me was whether one of the parents was a certified teacher or not. Being a certified teacher, so many people say that it should be easier for me because "I know what I'm doing." Makes sense. I've done it before. 24% of homeschoolers are educated by a certified parent. I guess we feel more confident that we can do it. What is fascinating, though, is that students of parents who are NOT certified teachers outperform those whose parent are certified teachers!

Whoa.

It's not by much. Certified parents hit 87% and non certified parents are 88%. I don't even know if that is statistically significant (statisticians reading this, please comment!)

That is why I said that this is a slap in the face for teachers. Oh my.

My thoughts? I think it has to do more with the way teachers are educated themselves. In college, we learn educational theory, human development, and more than you'd ever want to know about racism and minority students (minority students languish horribly in public schools, remember?) We learn very little about how actually to teach. School librarians (as I was) get a little more practical in that we are taught how to run a library and teach library skills. I actually think my school librarian courses were better preparation than my regular ed classes.

And I think that teaching is an art. It takes talent. You can certainly learn and get better at it, but it is not really something that you can study, so much. That's why non-certified parents are just as good at it as teachers.

I am grasping here. I don't really know. At least I can say we are on par.

My husband is a better parent than I am. I thought I would be because I had read so much about childhood development and parenting, and I have been in the field so long. Before I was a teacher I was a nanny and preschool teacher. But he is better--more patient, more logical, more consistent, gets better cooperation. He's good. And he's an engineer that works with computers and boats all day.

3 comments:

  1. I think you're probably very right in all you said, but I'd add one more factor: class size. Certified or noncertified, homeschooling parent are dealing with a class of one (or, in any case, fewer than 10, I'd guess). And that one student (or handful) must, because the circumstances demand it, ACTIVELY LEARN. He is not slacking off in the corner just because he can.

    I greatly admire teachers, but I think a lot has to be said for student effort. The best teachers in the world can't make you learn if you don't put in some effort, too, and it's far easier to put in little to no effort in a classroom full of other kids than it is when Mom is watching you, no matter what kind of a degree Mom has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hands down the most important factor in why homeschoolers outperform schooled kids. But why do homeschooling non-teacher parents do better than homeschooling teacher parents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great blog Ineka. I'm fascinated by this research, especially the part about non-teachers scoring better than teachers in homeschooling. I was "trained" to teach 6-12 but felt completely inept when I was cut loose in the classroom for the first time. I wanted to quit the first year!

    Teaching is an art and unfortunately so many new teachers are ill-prepared for the whole context of teaching (the content, the students, the parents--all put together). Luckily in my 3rd year I was put together with an experienced teacher. Although we co-taught in an alternative program, he was definitely my mentor and my teaching vastly improved.

    Thanks for writing this!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete