Monday, December 21, 2009

Library Day, revisited


I thought I had the perfect solution.

The problem was whether to continue to require Mi'ita to check out and read one legend/folktale/fairytale, one science book, one art book, one poetry book, one biography, one history book, and one recommended novel every week OR give Mi'ita more freedom in choosing 5 nonfiction books of her choice and one recommended novel every week.

I was weighing the pros and cons in my previous blog post. Mi'ita was agitating for more freedom and not showing a lot of enthusiasm for picking out or reading her books after the first couple library visits.

And then I had a brain wave! She could choose whatever she wants to check out of the library without constraint, but she would have to read my list of requirements from any source every week. She has lots of books around the house that cover those categories, many she picks up and reads on her own.

Nope. Mi'ita is still agitating for option two, 5 nonfiction books and one novel of her choice. She did pick up all five of her library books (all on the planets) this morning and read them all before we went to the library today. I gave her a week reprieve and she checked out five books on different whales today.

We're playing it by ear. Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment