Saturday, August 29, 2009

Friday Field Day


I think Fridays are going to be popular.

I read in one of my homeschooling books to leave one day per week open for library trips, field trips, and projects. We already go to the library Monday afternoons (I volunteer), so field trips and all day projects belong to Fridays.

Since school doesn't start for a couple weeks for the rest of Newport, we still have access to other kids. Mi'ita a wanted to go to Otter Beach aquatic park for Friday field day this week. It lacks the science or social studies that I was thinking of (museums, hikes, field studies, zoos) but it does have some value. We went with two of her friends, and she swam like a fish for two and a half hours, in the rain no less. They had a great time and a lot of exercise. I figured it was a PE day. Mi'ita has my body and will have to watch her weight her entire life. PE is not to be sniffed at and letting her enjoy her exercise is a good thing.

Speaking of PE, I think Mi'ita is getting more exercise than she does in school. We walk the dog every day for 45 minutes to an hour to a rope swing near our house. It's a beautiful spot in the woods by a creek. We can collect leaves, pinecones, water samples, and find newts. I've never seen a frog there, but I've heard them. Being outside, seeing all that beauty, watching the seasons change, having time to talk to her mom, or not. It's all good.

Mi'ita has more time to herself in the afternoons, too, and I see her being more active. We do seat work in the morning and after lunch she does what she likes. Theoretically, it's time to unschool. Unschool is the concept that all human beings are wired to learn and do not need to be forcefed education. A true unschooled education would be to let her do what she likes all day and to teach her only what she requests to be taught. I am incapable of leaving that much of her education to chance. I do buy the concept, though, and am willing to let her do it part time. Afternoons, I let her go and she has been educationally focused. She watches her German and Latin DVD's or science shows (no TV that isn't educational) and reads mostly. She built a volcano and exploded it Saturday night.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you did start your blog! Good for you! I think your posts so far are fascinating. It sounds like your year is off to an amazing start, in all the ways that word is applicable. Glad I can come along (virtually) for the ride.

    ReplyDelete